Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The Crucible Response

One of the things that I disliked about The Crucible was that Abigail just left the town all of a sudden and became a prostitute in Boston. We never heard of her after that. I feel that after all the drama, pain, and deaths that she caused, justice should have been served and she should have been hung. The whole reason she blamed innocent people of witchcraft was so that Elizabeth Proctor could be killed if accused and so she could have Proctor all to herself. She never got what she wanted and she just left. Her scheme was basically for nothing if she never got anything out of it. I feel that Abigail should have never been allowed to leave the courthouse and should have been questioned more in order for her to be accused of adultery. Abigail was smart (sadly), and left the town before further questions would be made. She knew the court would be on her trail after the commotion that she caused.

The ending, to me, was bittersweet. I didn't want Proctor and Elizabeth to die because I wanted them to still be happy and raise their next son together (considering Elizabeth was pregnant at the time). I had hoped that Abigail would be killed instead and it would be over, but there was no way that would happen since she ran away. Proctor ended up being hung, even after confessing himself (but refusing to sign the paper). I understand that in that moment in order to make his confession "official" he had to sign the paper, but I felt like it was a bit ridiculous and unnecessary because it was (or should be) only between him and god. Elizabeth's decision to not go to stop the hanging was reasonable because "he have his goodness now". She didn't want to take it away from him and just let him die confessed.

Overall, the story was good. It kept me wondering what would happen next and made me develop strong opinions about many of the situations. I liked the fact that things that I wasn't expecting occurred (such as proctor's death and Abigail running away). I think the epilogue that was read separately in class should have been included in the text book so the readers could be left with some sort of closure. Before the epilogue was read out loud, the story didn't feel complete.

400 words

No comments:

Post a Comment