Wednesday, March 13, 2013

West Lawn American Dream Reflection



During this process of interviewing and going around my community, I realized that there was more to the American dream than just achieving success, raising a family and getting and education. Some may wish for simple things like living a comfortable life, while others just wish for freedom. The American dream may not always be about money, though it could be, especially for those who have very little. I noticed that the dream did change and differ between generations, but that is because the times have changed. The younger generations have more aspirations now that the task of getting to the country and building a new life from scratch has been taken care of by the older generations. Older people, for example, had the priority of getting a job first, in order to bring in the money. Today, younger people have a dream of attending their dream college and getting their dream professional job.

Besides gathering photos to describe and help back up my findings for the numerous kinds of American dreams, I was challenged about actually being able to tell if the dream is alive in my community. It may not be the greatest, but compared to others, it is well off. The people within have their heads straight for the most part and know what they hope to achieve. This has definitely opened my eyes a little more to the surroundings in my community, and I have learned that there is more to the dream than I thought. It definitely varies from person to person, but it's all based on one's own happiness and goals. The Dream is very well present in West Lawn, some bigger than others.

6 comments:

  1. Your presentation was incredible! You backed up everything quotes from the people you interview. You mentioned that the younger people's Dream usually consist of going to their dream college and creating a professional job out of their studies. But I believe that there is something more to this dream. I feel like you mentioned this during your presentation about how the younger people wanted to settle down. Now a days people seem to like the idea of just living a comfortable life maybe the result of coming from a different cultural background than the Americans. (word count 95)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Pamela! I liked how you organized your presentation (interviews in the beginning, pictures towards the end). The ideas and information that you presented regarding your interviewees and the American Dream in your community were in depth and clear. I especially like the part where you showed the progress in your neighborhood by presenting a "before and after" shot of your own block. You seemed very knowledgeable and comfortable when in came to talking about your community and the American Dream within it; and you were also able to connect to your analysis very well personally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your presentation! Although you sounded very nervous, I think you presented quite well! You went over everything in nice detail and you sounded like you knew a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pamela. Your presentation was very informative and clear. You gave me a different view of what the American dream was and how it wasn't all about success. The people I interviewed all wanted success, which shows the variations of the American dream in different neighborhoods. But little things that people accomplish can be considered successes as well. Yes? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pamela! Your presentation was really informative and detailed. I loved your photographs and how humble you were during your presentation. I'm happy to know that the American dream resides in West Lawn, and hopefully your dream is thriving with the help of your neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pamela, at this point I'm pretty sure that you know you did a GREAT job presenting because everybody is telling you so! I admire your community for achieving what they have achieved, especially what the older generation has done for their family. Your presentation was incredibly nice, and the photographs of the eloteros, businesses, and your interviewees were lovely!

    ReplyDelete